150,823 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Network navigation

Copy of invite to respiratory integrated care meeting

Up to General message board
May 11. 2011
rlawson2

Please find attached an invite to take part in the above meeting. This is supported by pharma, but is non-promotional and I have worked closely in developing the idea. It is intended to provide a forum to present origianl work (audit/research/service development) but not simply to do that. The idea is to open up an opprtunity to present across disciplines and including those in training positions. The idea is to try to provide a supportive environment to present in, with useful feedback to provide particular added values to the presenters and to develop their skills. I hope you will agree this is a worthwhile opportunity. Please feel free to pass the invitiation on to anyone who might be interested.

I'm sure users of this forum will be aware of the importance of intgrated care as the NHS moves forward. 

These new ways of providing healthcare are obviously fundamental to delivering on the QIPP agenda, an important but challenging step forward. Implementing change is not easy, not least because research appropriate to these areas has yet to develop more fully, and not all healthcare professionals feel encouraged or supported in participating in this. Our aim is to help clinicians and researchers with a variety of backgrounds to take their early steps in a supportive and encouraging environment, recognising that traditional research forums may appear somewhat intimidating for some.

I’m therefore delighted to inform you of the Integrated Care Seminar, a new initiative sponsored by GSK, to be held on the evening of Thursday 30th June (venue tbc). The date has been chosen as relevant attendees are likely to be attending the summer meeting of the British Thoracic Society. The purpose of the event is to showcase examples of good practice, and we are therefore inviting submissions of work carried out to improve patient outcomes within the area of Integrated Respiratory Care; this may encompass research, service development evaluations or clinical audit. 5 of the examples submitted will be selected to present at the symposium, in front of a panel of experts and a general audience. Each presentation of 10 minutes will be followed by a 5 minute opportunity for questions, with a final plenary session.

The expert panel will select the best presentation and a certificate will be awarded during the dinner following the meeting. Importantly, each expert panel member will act as mentor for one of the presenters, welcoming them to the session and providing individual feedback to them on the day. Written feedback from all the panel will follow. We hope this constructive and individual feedback will encourage and facilitate future participation in research in general, and the area of Integrated Respiratory Care in particular.

I’m sure you will agree that this is a very worthwhile initiative, which will encourage the sharing of innovative ideas amongst the Respiratory community in the UK. I would therefore be most grateful if you could circulate details of the event to your local clinical networks, inviting submissions to be sent on to myself at Rod.Lawson@sth.nhs.uk . This should be in the form of an abstract of no more than 250 words, but to encourage participation additional supporting material will be accepted, explaining why the work is of interest. Closing date for applications is 3rd June, 2011. I look forward to seeing some interesting work!

Kind Regards

Dr Rod Lawson

GlaxoSmithKline have provided an educational grant to fund this initiative, covering the costs of the venue, hospitality, administration of the programme and honoraria for the expert panel. GlaxoSmithKline have had no input into the programme content.