150,251 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Poll

What bicycle do you ride on, to your NHS workplace?

All about cycling..
1. Tourer

14% (1 votes)
2. Mountain Bike

0% (0 votes)
3. Racer

0% (0 votes)
4. Folding Bike

0% (0 votes)
5. Hybrid Bike

86% (6 votes)
6. Electric Bike

0% (0 votes)
7. A Trike

0% (0 votes)
8. recumbent bicycle

0% (0 votes)
9. Cargo bike

0% (0 votes)
10. eCargo bike

0% (0 votes)
11. Vintage Bike pre 1980's

0% (0 votes)

Cycling Numbers in Hull?

Up to Cycling Forum
March 18. 2011
Alexander Ford

I have receieved an indirect question(Climate & Health Council website) from a NHS Travel Planner based in the North-East. Can anyone help? 

I have asked my contacts at the Cycle Touring Club (CTC) if anyone knows?

Thanks
Alex

QUESTION

"We learnt that there are six times more cyclists in Hull than in Sunderland - with no obvious reason (they have the same number of bike lanes etc). Anyone any ideas why this should be?”

March 18. 2011
Dominic Mellon

I grew up in Hull, (well just outside Hull in Hessle,) and happily cycled the six miles to school on a regular basis.  

I would hazard that the reason cycling is so popular has a lot to do with the terrain - it's flat as a pancake and the only hills are flyovers which are easily avoided.

However, this is unscientific speculation and only based on my own experience.  As I left Hull 13 years ago, a lot could have changed...

...apart from the terrain!

March 18. 2011
David Cox

I think its because either geographically or psychologically Hull is nearer Holland. These cycling cultures are long lived. Cambridge and Oxford obviously but also Bristol. Stratford and Solihull have more aging utility cyclists (baskets good indicator) than Birmingham.

March 18. 2011
David Cox

Useful observations from my fellow CTC Councillor who lives in Hull :-

Hi David,

The answer is probably going to be revealed when Rachael Aldred publishes her research on cycling cultures.

The reasons are to my mind, low wage earning and low car ownership, flat landscape (no hills other than bridges and flyovers), simple radial road network (arterial shopping streets). Now many 20mph max residential areas. Although a port many people rarely leave the City so high level of self containment.  This is not to say that we’re totally insular but there is a parochialism about, what people do elsewhere isn’t the standard for many.

Arthur.

March 19. 2011
Geoff Gardner

I think the reason the question is so interesting is that Sunderland also has low car ownership and is at the mouth of the River too with relatively little through traffic. It is also near Holland and not that hilly really.

The Rachel Aldred work is great and will be a great comparison between Hull and Hackney, which also has high levels of cycling.

What also fascinates me is how two doctors with identical backrounds, education and income can have very similar views on lots of things but polar opposite views about cycling. One of them cannot imagine being without it, even in the depths of winter. The other cannot imagine why you ever would.

Geoff