149,936 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Poll

What bicycle do you ride on, to your NHS workplace?

All about cycling..
1. Tourer

14% (1 votes)
2. Mountain Bike

0% (0 votes)
3. Racer

0% (0 votes)
4. Folding Bike

0% (0 votes)
5. Hybrid Bike

86% (6 votes)
6. Electric Bike

0% (0 votes)
7. A Trike

0% (0 votes)
8. recumbent bicycle

0% (0 votes)
9. Cargo bike

0% (0 votes)
10. eCargo bike

0% (0 votes)
11. Vintage Bike pre 1980's

0% (0 votes)

New type of cycle light

Up to Cycling Forum
December 11. 2012
Richard Trusson

A cycling friend of mine tipped me off to this Kick Starter project - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/embrooke/blaze-bike-light

Early days but an interesting idea to increase the visibility of cyclists.

The ‘home’ web site. http://www.blazecomponents.com/

It is a pity that the expected delivery date of the first batch will be as the cycle commute starts to get lighter.

December 11. 2012
Alexander Ford

Also promoted on BBC website;

"Laser-projected bike light invented to improve safety"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20611279

Having said that I find 3 lights on the front and 2 on the back and my High Viz altura jacket does the trick :^)

Regards

Alex

December 12. 2012
niggle

I don't know, it has some good aspects, but it seems to be compensating for when poor observation by other road users is combined with poor riding and positioning by cyclists. This does happen but I think the best way to reduce the risk is through cyclist and driver training.

In the first interaction with a bus no cyclist should be cycling across a junction with a bus or HGV to their right, either get across before it or wait behind (in fact do not ride up the side of one waiting at the lights anyway, but sometimes the bus/HGV arrives after the cyclist, then forgets the cyclist once they are out of sight). As the bus driver said, maybe a 50% improvement, whereas better riding will reduce the risk by 100% IMO.

In the second interaction the cyclist was positioned well, and would have seen the side turning and the lights on the road from the vehicle emerging (actually easier to spot in the dark). I would argue the car driver could also see the cyclist quite early due to the cyclist's good positioning. A reduction of speed and preparation to brake by the cyclist gives 100% reduction of risk.

In the third interaction with the pedestrian the cyclist was positioned really badly, at risk of being doored as well as hitting a pedestrian, if they had been positioned well clear of the parked vehicles, as per the previous cyclist, the risk would have been significantly reduced as they would have seen the pedestrian, and vice versa, in time to take evasive action (usually to brake).

December 13. 2012
Mathew Stephenson

I think the light is more of a measure to enhance safety and reduce risk.It will not take away the fact that many road users are oblivious to their surroundings.

I do filter through traffic as this is the quickest way to get to work or maintain a steady speed when training but I trust no one else on the road.  I usually make my way to the front of the queues at lights and position myself so I can be overtaken across the junction as upsetting as this is for vehicle users it is only for a few seconds and if any of them actually took time to consider the impact on their journey time it would be miniscule. The laser projected image just might reinforce or raise a moment of curiosity for the driver to stop and think 'what is that?' and maybe look in their mirrors to see you.

Unfortunately nothing but training can protect you from the blind or oblivious idiots that overtake you then turn left at the next junction right in front of you. Many times I would love to smack their boot to wake them up as I brake and skid to avoid damage to myself or hitting their car.

I also dont think that 80 Lumens is enough for the main light and it should be used more as a back up or as additional lighting on flash mode.

But its still a great innovative idea that I wish i'd thought up. Good luck to the girl.