150,840 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Poll

What bicycle do you ride on, to your NHS workplace?

All about cycling..
1. Tourer

14% (1 votes)
2. Mountain Bike

0% (0 votes)
3. Racer

0% (0 votes)
4. Folding Bike

0% (0 votes)
5. Hybrid Bike

86% (6 votes)
6. Electric Bike

0% (0 votes)
7. A Trike

0% (0 votes)
8. recumbent bicycle

0% (0 votes)
9. Cargo bike

0% (0 votes)
10. eCargo bike

0% (0 votes)
11. Vintage Bike pre 1980's

0% (0 votes)

Cycling Mileage Allowance

Up to Cycling Forum
July 01. 2011
Jeremy Speed

Could anyone let me know what mileage allowance you receive for cycling? My PCT's current rate is 10p per mile

July 01. 2011
niggle

Mine is 10p as well. In AfC it says that 10p per mile is the minimum rate, but that employers can pay up to 20p per mile at their own discretion as that is the maximum allowed by HMRC. I do not know whether any do pay more than 10p.

Mind you my foundation trust is talking about scrapping the differential mileage rates for cars according to cc (as well as the lease scheme) and replacing it with one standard rate. I know its just to save costs but I do think that is fair enough and should promote the use of less poluting cars for NHS transportation needs. Only exception IMO is if there are disability rights issues, as a person may have need of a larger vehicle due to mobility issues.

July 01. 2011
Jeremy Speed

Many thanks Nigel.

Previously Nigel Andrews wrote:

Mine is 10p as well. In AfC it says that 10p per mile is the minimum rate, but that employers can pay up to 20p per mile at their own discretion as that is the maximum allowed by HMRC. I do not know whether any do pay more than 10p.

Mind you my foundation trust is talking about scrapping the differential mileage rates for cars according to cc (as well as the lease scheme) and replacing it with one standard rate. I know its just to save costs but I do think that is fair enough and should promote the use of less poluting cars for NHS transportation needs. Only exception IMO is if there are disability rights issues, as a person may have need of a larger vehicle due to mobility issues.

September 02. 2011
Kevin Wyke

I think the 20p HMRC limit is the tax free limit, and wouldn't stop organisations paying higher, in fact I seem to remember on the old SPOKES website there was a little bit of research on mileage rates paid and there was significant variation with some paying well in excess of the 10p minimum.

This document has some explination of proposed changes to milage rates http://www.sdu.nhs.uk/documents/Mileage_Rates_Explained.pdf

and this one says that if differentiated mileage rates are maintaied then the highes rate should be paid for low carbon options like cycling

http://www.sdu.nhs.uk/documents/publications/1232901538_QFPD_low_carbon_travel,_transport_and_access.pdf#search="cycle"

September 02. 2011
Kevin Wyke

and this time that URL so that it fits http://tinyurl.com/3c828wz