150,245 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation


What bicycle do you ride on, to your NHS workplace?

All about cycling..
1. Tourer
14% (1 votes)
2. Mountain Bike
0% (0 votes)
3. Racer
0% (0 votes)
4. Folding Bike
0% (0 votes)
5. Hybrid Bike
86% (6 votes)
6. Electric Bike
0% (0 votes)
7. A Trike
0% (0 votes)
8. recumbent bicycle
0% (0 votes)
9. Cargo bike
0% (0 votes)
10. eCargo bike
0% (0 votes)
11. Vintage Bike pre 1980's
0% (0 votes)

Excess Mileage

Up to Cycling Forum
July 30. 2012
Nick Wigston

Good Afternoon


I was wondering if anyone could help me resolve an issue that I have.


As a keen cyclist I used to cycle to my primary base and also another 2 sites that I used to work at.

Recently my permanent base has been moved, meaning that it is not a viable option to cycle to work every day, because of this I am having to now use my car, although it would be nice to ride to work and home over the North Downs every day.


I have been told that even though I used to ride to work, I cannot claim the 24p a mile for the full mileage from home to the new base in the car, I have to deduct the distance to old base from my calculations.

I have been told though that I may be able to claim 10p a mile for the difference between old and new base for the for the days that I do manage to ride.


What is the official policy on excess mileage and the use of a bike in this case as a few people have said that I can claim the full mileage and the 10p a mile for the days that I cycle.

October 10. 2012
Nick Wigston

I don’t know if anyone has had any thoughts on my position?

So far I have been through my managers and up to HR and even had a meeting with the Director who has said that my request is fair and reasonable, but now HR are refusing to sign the mileage form and have to re submit it.

I have been told that the HIS do not have a cycling policy although I have heard that our hosting trust does. From what I have seen so far it looks like they do not even recognise cycling as an official method of transport.


Many Thanks

October 15. 2012
Chris Holmes

Hi Nick,

I'm afraid I can't help you, but I'd be really interested to hear the outcome of this as my base will be changing in the not too distant future so cycling will no longer be an option for me. I'm yet to hear what my Trust's policy will be on excess mileage in this situation, but I'd hope to get full mileage as I'll not only be looking at the extra cost of paying for fuel, but also will probably have to buy a second car (and therefore have additional insurance, tax and MOT costs).




October 30. 2012
Kathryn Hopley

You can find both answers here: http://www.nhsemployers.org/SiteCollectionDocuments/afc_tc_of_service_handbook_fb.pdf

It looks like you can claim 10p a mile for official cycling, but nothing for excess fares on a bike. Excess fares in a car is at public transport rate of 25p per mile. 

December 03. 2012
Nick Wigston

I meant to post a reply a couple of weeks back, but have been rather busy.

After meetings with the Director, the HR department senior management etc., I have been told that I would not be able to claim my full mileage for when I drive to my new place of work regardless of how I travelled to my previous base.

I explained that using sustainable transport meant that I had not costs for traveling and as such I felt like I was penalized against.

I have been told that I am able to take out a grievance in regards to this policy decision but feel that this would not be worthwhile route.

 I feel very disappointed in this policy decision as the government is trying to promote sustainable transport and cycling to work.

When Meeting with the Director who is also a cyclist, he also felt disappointed in the way that the NHS promotes Cycling and sustainable transport to work, including the facilaties and clarity of policies available.

Powered by Ploneboard