150,002 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Poll

What bicycle do you ride on, to your NHS workplace?

All about cycling..
1. Tourer

14% (1 votes)
2. Mountain Bike

0% (0 votes)
3. Racer

0% (0 votes)
4. Folding Bike

0% (0 votes)
5. Hybrid Bike

86% (6 votes)
6. Electric Bike

0% (0 votes)
7. A Trike

0% (0 votes)
8. recumbent bicycle

0% (0 votes)
9. Cargo bike

0% (0 votes)
10. eCargo bike

0% (0 votes)
11. Vintage Bike pre 1980's

0% (0 votes)

Dark Nights and Bright Lights

Up to Cycling Forum
November 04. 2011
Alexander Ford

Hi All

A current topic of conversation at lunch time has now turned to cycle lights and how visible you are whilst cycling at 4.30pm onwards.  Although their are still some cyclists who career towards me without lights on my tow path commute!

However a cycling friend has pointed me towards the following internet website
http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html   well worth a look if your considering new lights for your bike.

Anyway my Highly reflected Red Jacket proved its worth again this week after I was lit up like a christmas tree, crossing a mini roundabout and a car screeched to a standstill.

feel free to comment...

Cheers

Alex

November 07. 2011
Glenn Stewart

This is a very useful website with a lot of useful information.  This is probably a London-centric conmment as it never gets dark here but I am though a bit concerned that this is the 'I didn't see you argument'.

Car drivers are expected to be able to read a number plate at 20m.  I am 1.88m tall and weight 86 kg yet even in daylight I get the 'I didn't see you argument'.  Quite frankly, if someone didn't see me they either shouldn't be driving and / or were driving without due care and attention.

November 07. 2011
Phil Williams

As cyclists we have a responsibility ourselves and other road users to ensure that SMIDSY (sorry mate I didn't see you) can not be used as an excuse. Two 1/2 watt Smart Lunar rear lights (apparently visible from a mile away), a cateye front flasher as well as a 1000 lumens main headlight achieves this for me.

I don't wear outlandishly garish colours, but there are plenty of reflective patches all over my commuting gear.

This said, there's probably good reason for keeping your lights on when in daylight as well as dawn, dusk and dark. Whilst specifically a motorcycle article this piece makes for interesting reading for those wondering why they are not being seen.