150,302 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Poll

What bicycle do you ride on, to your NHS workplace?

All about cycling..
1. Tourer

14% (1 votes)
2. Mountain Bike

0% (0 votes)
3. Racer

0% (0 votes)
4. Folding Bike

0% (0 votes)
5. Hybrid Bike

86% (6 votes)
6. Electric Bike

0% (0 votes)
7. A Trike

0% (0 votes)
8. recumbent bicycle

0% (0 votes)
9. Cargo bike

0% (0 votes)
10. eCargo bike

0% (0 votes)
11. Vintage Bike pre 1980's

0% (0 votes)

Land's End to John O'Groats

Up to Cycling Forum
April 27. 2012
Alan Gibson

Thought people on here might be intersted in hearing about my LEJoG that I will be starting on 6th May. I am planning on taking 7 days covering a distance of around 910 miles and will be raising money for RoadPeace. If you would like to read more about my ride and my preparations for it I have a blog at http://alangibsonlejog.blogspot.co.uk/

RoadPeace is the national charity for road crash victims and their work covers three main areas:

·         Support for road crash victims

·         Campaign for justice for road victims

·         Campaign for road danger reduction

If you would like to make a donation online please visit https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/alangibsonlejog

April 30. 2012
Phil Williams

Hi Alan,

I completed my unsupported 9 day LEJOG in June 2009 covering a similar route to what yours - the most noticable difference being that my home stop over mean't a diversion to Wirral rather than Manchester.

Have you been lucky enough to persuade someone to carry your kit or are you unsupported also?

I'm sure the memories from my LEJOG will stay with me forever, and fortunately, the scenery, the people, the funny incidents and the overwhelming sense of accomplishment remain more vivid than the knee and achilles pains!

I wish you the very best of luck and I look forward to hearing about your trip via your blog - and if there is any advice I can offer then please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Phil

May 01. 2012
Alan Gibson

Cheers Phil

I think everything's sorted now, just drawn up my equipment list, finalised my route directions and fitted a 12-28t cassette for lower gears along with a shiny new chain. I will be carrying my kit but will have very little of it as I will be staying in B&Bs. My girlfriend will be on hand for the first and last days too as she will be driving down to Land's End with me and meeting me up in Drumnadrochit.

All that's left to do is hope the weather changes by Sunday - at the moment it's looking like it's going to be wet with headwinds!

Alan