145,262 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Query received by the SNOMED CT in Primary Care team:Will SNOMED CT be the only coding scheme in use or will other systems continue to be used?

Up to SNOMED CT in Primary Care
December 19. 2016
Maria Louise Axford

Query received by the SNOMED CT in Primary Care team: Will SNOMED CT be the only coding scheme in use or will other systems continue to be used?

January 12. 2017
SNOMED CT in Primary Care Admin

Response from Denise Downs, Implementation and Education Lead, SNOMED CT in primary care, NHS Digital: All GPSoC systems (which include EMIS Web, Vision, TPP and Microtest) will only be using SNOMED CT coding from 1st April 2018.

January 12. 2017
Denise Downs

Follow-on question received:

I notice that in response to a query on 19th December on the nhsnetworks message board that Denise Downs stated that only SNOMED CT coding system would be used by primary care systems beyond April 2018.

My understanding was that ICD-10 would continue to be used also.  Am I wrong?  or has an incorrect response been given to Maria Louise Axford who raised the query?

Response:

SNOMED CT and ICD-10 (and OPCS4) serve different but complementary purposes. In simple terms SNOMED CT is the vocabulary for use in an electronic patient record and is focussed on recording patient information at the time and point of care. ICD-10/OPCS4 are used to report/summarise an episode of care after the event and in accordance with business rules focussing on what we need to 'count' for statistical and epidemiological analyses.

There are maps from SNOMED CT to ICD-10/OPCS-4 for use in software systems to support coding a completed episode of care. The plan is that the NHS will use both, and in the future ICD-10 will be superseded by ICD-11 which has more direct links to SNOMED CT.