Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Shropshire Healthcare Procurement Service

Shropshire Healthcare Procurement Service

Network navigation

Copier Paper - WHO264

Up to Shropshire Healthcare Procurement Service
September 19. 2018
Robert Goodrich

The new NCP for copier paper has now gone live - this new paper is not pure white but will save the Trust money over the previous copier paper

September 19. 2018
Nicholas Judson
Hi Rob, I appreciate the need to save NHS trusts money but this paper is a poorly chosen replacement and has several glaring defects that make it hard to utilise for all current printing requirements.
September 20. 2018
Shaun Jones

Nick

Could you identify what the glaring defects which are causing problems?

Gov offices have been using this paper for the last 15 years and other NHS trusts are using it with no issues - so be interested what printing requirements it wont meet within the Community Trust?

September 20. 2018
Keith Edwards

Shaun, the same issues that were raised via the procurement group when we had the paper on trial. The trust CEOs office do not want to use this sort of paper for letters to patients, particularly where we are dealing with things like complaints. The patient engagement and volunteers teams also mentioned the poor colour of the paper. Our principal concern was around a batch print from the CEOs office using a HP CP6015 colour laser printer, as the 20 sheets that were returned to me were incredibly poor quality, with printing speckling, bleeding and the toner not even fusing properly on the paper, leaving ink on your fingers. Additionally two of the sheets were actually torn during the print process, meaning fragments of paper become lodged in the printer.

We have asked for assurance that the cost of repair would be met but as usual we have had nothing. Testing a batch of paper in a brand new device from a different manufacturer is not the same.

Since the paper was switched over I have had complaints from HR regarding the quality of the paper and now the postroom are saying that the main copiers on site are experiencing frequent jamming.

September 20. 2018
kate leach

Hi All.

The initial complaints at SaTH seem to have died down but these were purely from peoples perception due to the change of colour. People were complaining before they had even used it in their printers.

The grade and thickness is exactly the same as the previous paper so quality has not reduced.

The paper was trialled at Northampton General with no issues, as Shaun says the government has used this product for over 15 years. Our MFD provider Kyocera trialled it in a variety of printers and this was their feedback:

Apart from a bit of heat curl on the edges from where the  paper leaves the exit units  of the machine didn’t find any issues with this paper as the two images attached show . I have also attached an image of the test copies to show the type of testing done . I think you can be reassured that the  paper is compatible with the current range of KYOCERA printers and Multi-Function machines here in our Tech suite but the real test will for this to be monitored once the paper and machines are being used on site at the trust .

The paper was tested on a range of machines

• TA6052ci where I used a high coverage colour image and black text document and tested this on double sided duplex mode (100 prints made) , the only issue I saw was a slight bit of curl on the back edge after the paper has exited the machine but this didn’t seem to effect the double sided
  • P7240 cdn ( which is the new model for the P6130dn as below) again ran a high density image  for 100 prints  through this model of printer no issues
  • TA 6002i and 8002i ( which are both high volume mono copiers @ 60 and 80 cpm ) again double and single sided with image and text no issues found here at all
  • TA3252ci ( which is our 32 cpm colour and is the lower speed model of the 6052ci family) again 150 single sided with high density image and black text
  • Ecosys 2640dw ( mono printer) slight curl on exit shown in attached image

With regards the look of unprofessionalism the CEO's office worries, this is a perception purely due to difference in colour which is due to the fact the harmful chemicals used in the bleaching process to whiten is not biodegradable and therefore not used in this totally recycled biodegradable paper. This is better for the environment.The execs at SaTH have accepted the change and one even said they liked it.

Once this becomes the norm NHS standard I think patients will accept and may feel a Trust using a brilliant white paper is wasting resources that could be utilised in patient facing areas.

September 25. 2018
Nicholas Judson

My concern is NOT with the colour of the paper but rather with the number of printer jams that have been reported across the trust since we started using the new paper.
My other main concern is the poor bonding quality of the paper with the toner that is leaving residual ink that can transfer to people's hands.
I think these are genuine concerns and would appreciate if they could be highlighted to the SC team that agrees these nationally contracted products.

September 28. 2018
Keith Edwards

this mornings quality print!

Attachments
October 01. 2018
kate leach

That appears to be a printer issue to dump a load of toner on the paper. The actual print looks perfect, clear and readable.

October 03. 2018
Keith Edwards

Same printer, same toner cartridge, same document, different paper.

By blaming everything apart from the paper you are doing exactly what the supplier does. It is always the fault of the asset rather than the low quality of the consumable. We had the exact same response with regard to non-OEM toner cartridges, which we ended up paying to replace the printers.

This is a £4,000 workgroup printer and we are looking to sweat assets to get the best possible return on them.

Attachments
October 03. 2018
Keith Edwards

...and here we go again "I have had to print the job five or six times because the printer keeps jamming" Note the heat curl is causing the paper to tear in the printer, leaving a sheet ripped from top to bottom and a bit of paper just floating around in the printer internals.

Attachments