150,008 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Changing relationships

Up to Additional Mental Health Information
September 25. 2012
Theresa Eynon

WLCCG are building a 'pro-active care passport'. They have seen other paper based shared care documents, like maternity records and the paediatric Red Book, and think this tool could change the relationship that patients have with their health and their care providers.

In theory it could. No doubt it should. The NHS is littered with failed innovations. The Department of Health set up and funds CLAHRCs because of this painful reality.

The CLAHRC is a Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care. They use ideas from Knowledge Translation to try to understand why, when we know what we 'should do' in fact we don't do it.

Making people change their behaviour isn't easy. It is the job of psychotherapists, councillors, governors and managers. Perhaps it is the fact that I have undertaken all of these is what made the Leicestershire Northampton and Rutland give me the opportunity to act as their 'Clinical Translation Fellow'. The role involves being a 'boundary spanner' between organisations. It has been suggested, with feet in so many camps, I am more like a multi-functional swiss-army knife!

More seriously, the CLAHRC's confidence in me probably also had something to do with the successful innovation - the IAPT and Mental Health Facilitator service I instigated in Leicestershire.

How do I know this worked? The QOF points certainly got better. The service is well liked by GPs. Good Thinking can't afford a proper qualitative analysis, but a wordle of the responses from our latest GP survey says it all.

I am looking forward to the revised QOF data, due out in November. GPs now have to get patients with severe and enduring mental illness to have blood tests and other intrusive healthcare.

Getting GPs and patients to meet the challenging new QOF will be a real test of the services ability to facilitated  a change in relationships with service users.

What have I learnt from this that I want to take to the CCGs new idealistic project?

Good Thinking worked because I didn't do it alone. This service was built by a collaborative team that understands human frailty.

Perhaps the biggest change in relationships the NHS must face will be an ability to be honest when we fail.

Attachments
September 25. 2012
Theresa Eynon

For those of you who like a bit of data, I've attached the information I presented at the Pulse Mental Health Forum in London 23rd May 2012

Attachments