Radiotherapy Placement Education Forum

Welcome and introductions

Network navigation

Good day everyone!

Up to Welcome and introductions
December 20. 2016
Lameez Monteiro-Sharratt

Hi all,

I am relatively new to the role of clinical educator in an official capacity, and was looking for fresh ideas when I stumbled upon this group.. I notice the last post was in 2015! Have many of you changed roles? or careers even?

I am based in a small satelite centre in Canterbury, linked to Kent Oncology Centre and fall under Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust. I am very interested in the idea of constantly improving the clinical learning environment for all our learners who are placed with us. I am also keen to meet other educators who are linked to the clinical environment through this network, and endeavour to learn from and support each other through common interests and goals.

We have only recently acquired VERT in our department, and I am still expecting my official training from the company. How do you use VERT to support your students who are on placement with you? I have had a play with the system, but am told to await official training..

I am really looking forward to re-starting this group as I think we can achieve so much more together than alone to the benefit of our learners, and ultimately our patients!

Happy Christmas everyone...

December 21. 2016
Louise Coleman

Hi Lameez,

Congratulations on your new role.  I'm the SCoR officer who deals with all things education and accreditation, including practice educators. I'm not the instigator or facilitator of this group, just a willing contributor.  Thanks for your post, I'd forgotten I'd joined the group!

SCoR runs a face-to-face (for the time being) forum for practice educators and university clinical coordinators.  If you (or anybody else in this group) want to join then drop me an email: louisec@sor.org, with your membership number and I'll get you added to the mailing list.

Great to hear you've got VERT too. I'm in the process of doing a literature review about international VERT use, got to finish it by Friday but I'm happy to post the reference list here after that.

Check out the document I've attached too, it's been created by all the allied health professionals and covers what practice educators should be.

Happy Christmas to you too.

Attachments
December 21. 2016
Lameez Monteiro-Sharratt

Hi Louise

Thank you for your response and the attached document. I have seen it before, but it was a great refresher. It is reassuring to know that there is some support out there, and someone still willing to contribute to this group to keep it going.

I would very much appreciate your reference list used in your literature review about VERT. It sounds like a very interesting project, but hard work, I'm sure!It would very much give me the kick start I need to familiarise myself with the system, before I utilise it to teach others.

Thank you for the information regarding SCoR forum, I will pass your email on to my fellow colleagues, and I will also be in touch shortly.

Good luck with your project.

January 03. 2017
Louise Coleman

Happy New Year!

As promised, here's my list of VERT references.  I can't remember if I included all the ones related to patients using VERT or not, but this certainly includes all the articles about using VERT with students.  It doesn't include posters.

There's a SCoR simulation special interest group which is for both diagnostic and therapeutic radiographers.  It is mainly via JISC Mail but I think they might be trying to hold another meeting this year sometime.  You have to subscribe: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/.  Once you do, search for the "simradiography" and subscribe to the group.  It is an international group with some really interesting people in it.

Good luck with VERT and if there's anything I can do to help let me know.

Attachments
January 04. 2017
Lameez Monteiro-Sharratt

Thank you very much Louise!

Happy New Year to you to!

I have added your reference document to the document section of this forum so that everyone can benefit from it. It is also more easily accessible without people having to scroll throught he entire feed!

I like the fact SCoR simulation special interest group is international, as its always a good idea to get a broader perspective on things. I will certainly look into subscribing to this group.

Furthermore, I wish you a good day!