Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal health budgets

Understanding personal health budgets

Network navigation

Training requirements for PAs

Up to Understanding personal health budgets
September 18. 2014
Helen Tonge

My name is Helen Tonge and I work for Real, a DPO in Tower Hamlets.

We are talking to our local CSU (who have been commissioned by the CCG to deliver PHBs) about the compulsory training for PAs who are employed through PHBs.  The CSU have produced a proposed list including First Aid, medication, manual handling and so on.  We were wondering about the situation in other areas and what different CCGs/CSUs demand. 

We are also interested in how the training is sourced and paid for, e.g. does the PHB include an element to fund training and then the individual is expected to source it themselves, or is it offered "in house" directly through the NHS?

We would be grateful for any feedback from other areas, thank you in advance.

November 13. 2014
Heather Blease

Hi Helen,

In Devon the requirement is for PAs who are employed through PHBs to undertake first aid and moving and handling training.

Fortunately we are working with Skills for Care on a project which offers these 2 courses free to PAs. Although the project does not last much longer and at the moment we are unaware of how training for PAs would be funded after this.

Thanks,

Heather

January 27. 2015
Active Independence

Hi,

We are a small DPULO offering advocacy. Here in Doncaster there are no strict training requirements for PAs - each persons needs are discussed individually. 

We are working with the council to put on some free training tailored specifically for PAs who have more responsibility than care agency workers. The first of these is an advanced diabetes session.

We hope Skills for Care will persuade 'the powers' to let people CHC funded to access the WFD fund!

April 10. 2015
Surekha Bhatia

I checked on the Skills for Care website and found information about Individual Employer Funding which has been used for people with Direct Payments to train themselves and PAs. However, this is not available for people with personal health budgets. It was advised that training costs are discussed with the CCG.

May 11. 2015
Nikki Watson

Any training needs for PA's should be included in the support plan/budget.  As an employer the PHB holder will be responsible to ensure that their staff have adequate and suitable training . . . however the CCG needs to address/minimise risk.  I have heard on the rumour mill that Skills for Care may look to opening up their resources for health.