150,280 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Network navigation

We have the commissioning zone - but what other zones could we develop?

Up to Main forum
February 18. 2011
Ben_McClelland

At our last meeting we looked at how we get networks to offer up their information and resources so that it's shared with other users. The Commissioning Zone was designed as a portal for commissioning information from across NHS Networks and the rest of the internet. We thought we could develop other zones to provide portals to other types of information. One of the suggestions was a Nursing Zone. But what other zones could we consider?

March 15. 2011
jpatterson

Previously Ben McClelland wrote:

At our last meeting we looked at how we get networks to offer up their information and resources so that it's shared with other users. The Commissioning Zone was designed as a portal for commissioning information from across NHS Networks and the rest of the internet. We thought we could develop other zones to provide portals to other types of information. One of the suggestions was a Nursing Zone. But what other zones could we consider?

A really good question. Before we start brainstorming other possible topics we need to ask what these zones are for and how they might evolve. I see them primarily as feeds rather than websites -- ways of supplying content that will probably be delivered by email or aggregated on personal pages with content from other networks. In other words, zones are little more than repositories for certain kinds of content. While the smart money is moving out of websites and networks are now the thing, it still makes sense to me to put a front end on the CZ so that people have got somewhere to go (assuming that they don't spend their whole waking lives waiting for things to come to them). If we do develop more zones, the question is how we reduce labour and how we minimise duplication, seeing as a lot of the material will be relevant to more than one zone.

THe more I think about it, the more evident it is that we want content to find people according to their preferences rather than have people go looking for it. Part of me still clings to the idea of publications -- things that organise information for us and make it available in chunks where we can easily go back and look for it. The drip, drip, drip of content from social networks does something else -- it certainly doesn't organise content and it doesn't make it easy to go back to.

More food for thought.