Life Sciences HSST trainees

2014/2015 Cohort 1

Network navigation

C2 time commitments

Up to 2014/2015 Cohort 1
May 03. 2017
George Burghel

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone considered/discussed the possible time commitments for C2?

I know there is a great variation in the "HSST training time" that people get, but it will be good to see if anyone thought about C2 and the time that may have to be dedicated for it.

Thanks,

George

May 04. 2017
Kathryn Jones

Hi George,

It would be really good to hear what people are saying, because the general consensus from our dept is 'what are other trainees doing?'! It is a 200 credit module, which should be around 2000 hours - which obviously includes everything from planning meetings through to viva, but they have said it should be undertaken in the final 2 years, which equates to about 130 working days each year, ie more than 2 a week. 

I have got to negotiate my time yet, but I am not doing the project in my lab, I am doing it somewhere else, so it will be easier for me to step away from service delivery, because I won't be in service! I will have a little block of full time C2 while I get trained up, and then will be looking at 2/3 days a week for the wet work. I do think my dept will be guided quite a lot by what other trainees are doing though.

As a rep, lots of people contact me asking me questions and most of them can be answered by people using these forums!

Katy

May 04. 2017
Sophie Laird

Hi All,

I have been allowed 2-3 days per week for my C2 project depending on workload.

Sophie 

May 05. 2017
Elizabeth Young

I all,

I'm going to follow this with interest! At the moment, I think it is being assumed that I will continue with my 1 day a week (assuming I actually manage a day a week) as I'm not doing the full DClinSci.

Has anyone else found that that distinction makes a difference?

Beth

May 05. 2017
Sophie Laird

To clarify, my 2-3 days is intended to encompass all things HSST over the final 2 years, including the C2 project.

May 06. 2017
Kathryn Jones

Beth - should it make a difference? The guidelines say 20-70% of your time and therefore there will be times where you are required to take more than a single day for HSST. To do Part 2 you will need to take time, and along with the diploma modules, curriculum and ARP, I don't think 1 day a week for the last two years is realistic!

May 08. 2017
Drew Ellershaw

I get 2.5 days training time. 2 days for clinical service training (e.g. rotations around any sections I have not worked in, probably project work too) and 0.5 for self-study (e.g. Uni work etc).

I have yet to discuss specific time for my C2 (which I am still waiting to hear back if it has been approved or not).

May 09. 2017
George Burghel

Hi,

Thank you all, this is really helpful.

It will be good to get more feedback and then as we are the first cohort(s) we can be the ones to set the standards as they keep saying. Obviously it will be different depending on the projects, but like Katy said, a feel of what is everyone doing will be really helpful

Thanks,

George

May 09. 2017
George Burghel

Hi,

Thank you all, this is really helpful.

It will be good to get more feedback and then as we are the first cohort(s) we can be the ones to set the standards as they keep saying. Obviously it will be different depending on the projects, but like Katy said, a feel of what is everyone doing will be really helpful

Thanks,

George

May 10. 2017
Isabelle Delon

Hi everyone,

I still get 1 day a week that I mainly use do the MBS work but sometimes I had to skip these because I was doing other things like bioinformatics trainings. I have defered C1 but have started the Part2 last October (not a C2 but I am still thinking if this could be compatible) and am managing it as part of my day to day routine and the other projects/clinical service I am working on, so I am not counting the time in days.

I was also wondering what others think about when we are supposed to officially start stage 2 (should be after the first 2 years and after being signed off for stage1?)? Are we going to have another ARP soon for the end of the second year? I have not been using OLAT for a while as I thought we would be starting with a new system but since it is not happening I wonder if we are still supposed record things in any other ways than filling in the ARP sheet.

All comments welcome, it feels like we have been a bit in dark since the ARP last year apart from AMBS, C1 and C2.

See you in Manchester tomorrow.

Isabelle