Life Sciences HSST trainees

2014/2015 Cohort 1

Network navigation

uploading competencies on OLAT

Up to 2014/2015 Cohort 1
August 14. 2015
jane soden

Hi all,

i just wanted to see how other HSST's were uploading their competencies and getting them reviewed.

On OLAT the HSST competencies for life sciencies are broken into 5 general categories and each of these categories actually needs multiple pieces of evidence to complete.

Are people just attaching lots of separate mini documents of evidence within each category  for review at the end of the year by a nominated indivual?

The way OLAT appears to be set up is that the assessor cannot complete your evidence as satisfactory until all competencies within the category have been uploaded. It seems like a lot of work for them to have look at everything at the end of the year and also means only one person is nominated to view all pieces of evidence within a category.

Are people getting competencies checked outside of using OLAT so they can be completed gradually over the year or just uploading and hoping that all will be ok at the end of the year when assessed?

Sorry- hope this makes sense- i've only just tried to upload a number of pieces of evidence.

Any tips will be appreciated

August 17. 2015
Isabelle Delon

Hi jane,

I haven't uploaded anything yet but I was planning to upload a few things by categories and submit them at the end. I don't know if there is a set number of evidences needed, do you? I did email Mike Thomas about competencies, see below for question and answer:

Q: I seems to remember that a guide about competencies for HSST was going to be issued but I can’t find an email about it, is this in preparation?

A: The School is currently working on a Handbook and hopes to publish this soon which will emphasise the bespoke nature of HSST training which is different to the proscribed PTP and STP training.'

I don't know if this is going to help with regarding when reviewing competencies but there may be info in this guide.

Isabelle

August 18. 2015
Kathryn Jones
Hi, Is this a question that could be asked at the meeting that is being held over lunchtime on the next uni day? I know a lot of us aren't going who are deferring (and apparently this is just another in the long list of things that the school is 'looking in to') but if someone who is going could ask and feed back? The competencies are purely 'have met the learning outcomes of the module' so surely the fact that we have done all our DOPs and OCEs covers this?! I am saying this now as an A Grade rather than STP trained scientist - but there seems to be a very wide ranging interpretation of 'evidence'? The video on OLAT about competencies talks about uploading the reference to a paper or a brief description of a seminar you attended, which doesn't seem like very much is actually needed, but I know of trainees who have been asked for 3000 word assignments. It is therefore not very clear what constitutes 'evidence', and this will have a big impact on what we prepare and when. I know that we had been given guidence of how many DOPs/OCEs to do but I notice on OLAT there isn't a specific number to do like there is on the STPs, so are we supposed to do them all? Katy
August 18. 2015
Kathryn Jones
Hi, Is this a question that could be asked at the meeting that is being held over lunchtime on the next uni day? I know a lot of us aren't going who are deferring (and apparently this is just another in the long list of things that the school is 'looking in to') but if someone who is going could ask and feed back? The competencies are purely 'have met the learning outcomes of the module' so surely the fact that we have done all our DOPs and OCEs covers this?! I am saying this now as an A Grade rather than STP trained scientist - but there seems to be a very wide ranging interpretation of 'evidence'? The video on OLAT about competencies talks about uploading the reference to a paper or a brief description of a seminar you attended, which doesn't seem like very much is actually needed, but I know of trainees who have been asked for 3000 word assignments. It is therefore not very clear what constitutes 'evidence', and this will have a big impact on what we prepare and when. I know that we had been given guidence of how many DOPs/OCEs to do but I notice on OLAT there isn't a specific number to do like there is on the STPs, so are we supposed to do them all? Katy
August 18. 2015
Kathryn Jones
August 18. 2015
Lowri Hughes
Hi all. When someone uploads evidence for competencies the reviewer has the option of saying it is completely satisfactory, unsatisfactory or incomplete. It has been suggested to us that what we can do for very large competencies where multiple people ideally would sign off different bits you can send a bit to one person they can then make a comment that items A,B & C have been reviewed and are satisfactory but that more evidence is required for the rest and then bounce it back to you as incomplete. Having been through STP, the amount of evidence used to depend on the competency if it asked to demonstrate your ability to analyse FraX PCR for example you could just upload a spreadsheet of cases you had analysed (with patient info removed) but if it wanted you to demonstrate your understanding of something e.g. X-inactivation, you might then have needed to write a brief essay to show you understand it. Other ways we did things was to have discussions with seniors to demonstrate we understand something. The message we are getting here in Birmingham is be quite creative, don't re-invent the wheel and write things for the sake of writing them. I dont think the DOPS/CBDs/OCEs will cover all aspects of our learning outcomes unfortunately, they assess a very specific skill or scenario and are not broad enough to cover the competencies. Hope that helps somewhat and I am happy to ask the question about evidence at the next Manchester day. Lowri
August 19. 2015
Victoria Hewitt

Has anyone for the molecular pathology of acquired disease got any further with OLAT and required competenecies? There doesnt seem to be the proper fields on mine. I've had a look at what a previous STP has done and I think its still missing key info..

This is my summary from OLAT

Core Molecular Techniques & Technologies

0 out of 1

Health and Safety in Laboratory Practice

0 out of 1

Vicky

August 27. 2015
Emma Fowler

Hi all,

When we are referring to competencies - are we meaning the DOPs and CBDs? As far as I know there have been no specific competencies set yet, other than the stock sentence under each module in teh competency log of:

"Upload evidence to demonstrate you have met the learning objectives of this module"

Please correct me if I am wrong though!!

I have added a few DOPs onto OLAT, but as far as I can see there is nowhere for me to upload evidence? My trainer is able to add evidence though, so we thought a way of getting round it would be for me to email me evidence and her upload on her login. Bit of a faff though, and I think she has emailed the school to see whether something can be done to make it easier for HSSTs to upload evidence. Again, having never had experience of OLAT I am unsure whether I am even looking in the right place, so please correct me if I am wrong and actually we are able to upload evidence for specific DOPs?

In terms of no. of DOPs we need to do. There was a previous email circulated by Lowri from Mike Thomas that we are required to complete 12 DOPs per year for years one and two. Not sure whether a no. has been set for CBDs or OCESs though? Also, have written down in my notes 2 critical reviews and 1 MSF - but have no idea where that came from... or come to that, what it actually means?!

Again, any clarification from someone in the know would be useful!

Thanks,
Emma

November 24. 2015
Lowri Hughes
HI Emma I just popped a post on another wall about DOPS. You dont normally upload evidence for DOPS or CBDs just for competencies. DOPS are done in real time i.e. someone observes you actually doing something, asks you questions then scores you on how well you did. Whereas competencies are where you upload your evidence. I havent actually started uploading evidence yet but I know other trainees have managed to upload to their competencies without too many problems. Hope thats helps Lowri
November 25. 2015
Emma Fowler

Hi Lowri,

Just reading this, after having written "my tuppence worth" on the DOPS wall!

As I said, my trainer and I are interpreting DOPS for HSST as explained by Mike Thomas at the HSST induction - Delivery of Professional Skills, hence the need to upload evidence (there is an upload button on the assessor's side of OLAT). Interpreting them this way makes a lot more sense in my opinion as so many of them cannot be directly observed. It also means they can be treated more like competencies to give more guidance to HSSTS regarding what is expected of them during their training.

As far as I can see on OLAT the only competencies on there are, as mentioned before, "upload evidence to demonstrate you have met the learning objectives of this module". This is extremely general and offers very little in terms of direction for training, it would be interesting to know what supporting evidence others have uploaded to these.

It is a little worrying that we are all interpreting this differently, I just hope whatever we are each producing will be enough when it comes to being formally signed off the HSST programme! As I said, my trainer and I are basing our intrepretation of DOPS on what was presented at the HSST induction day, so fingers crossed that means we are on the right track.

Hopefully when I return from maternity leave things will be a little clearer!