NIHR announces the 15 hospital trusts to host local branches of the Clinical Research Network
The Department of Health, through the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), has announced the 15 hospital Trusts that will host the local branches of the NIHR Clinical Research Network from April 2014, distributing a total of £280 million of funding each year.
The NIHR Clinical Research Network is the clinical research delivery arm of the NHS. Since April 2013, the Network has been carrying out a selection process to identify 15 local “host” organisations, as part of a programme to simplify its administrative arrangements, while strengthening the infrastructure for carrying out clinical studies across the country.
The 15 trusts will be awarded five year contracts from 1 April 2014 to act as the Network’s local branches. They will take responsibility for performing the remit of the NIHR Clinical Research Network at local level and, collectively, will distribute £280 million of NIHR funding per year, to support the delivery of clinical research studies in their area.
The appointed Trusts/Foundation Trusts are (and the name of their local NIHR branch) are:
• Barts Health NHS Trust (North Thames)
• Central Manchester UH NHS FT ( Greater Manchester)
• Guys’ and St Thomas’ NHS FT (South London)
• Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust (North West London)
• Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS FT (Eastern)
• Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust (Thames Valley and South Midlands)
• Royal Devon and Exeter NHS FT (South West Peninsula)
• Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen UH NHS FT (North West Coast)
• Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS FT (Kent, Surrey and Sussex)
• Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS FT (Yorkshire and Humber)
• Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS FT (North East and North Cumbria)
• Royal Wolverhampton NHS FT (West Midlands)
• UH Southampton NHS FT (Wessex)
• UH Bristol FT (West of England)
• UH Leicester NHS Trust (East Midlands)