150,302 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Blackburn & the importance of being available

Up to Implementation Plans
June 24. 2012
professor louis appleby

Excellent visit to Blackburn this week, part of Lancashire's multi-site diversion pathfinder - a two part visit, taking in probation and police custody.

The message from probation was the importance of being available - someone even asked for a quick mental health opinion on a case while we were sitting round the staff table. Highly experienced staff, easy to contact - the basis of collaborative care. Discussion was on how you often have to persevere until a patient is ready to face their problems - they can be slow to trust people in positions of authority.

In the police station, I heard that they see very few section 136 cases - the local mental health units have good facilities. Obvious really - police use their own custody for section 136 when the alternative is not available.

A less familiar duty with connections to diversion was Blackburn's participation in the government's Prevent strategy, working with the police and others to protect people from being drawn into terrorism - people who may be vulnerable because of their mental health.  Is anyone else doing this?

June 25. 2012
lin houldershaw

Louis

This is an absolute gem you have uncovered in lancashire. Blackburn certainly has the demographics for this type of 'prevent' work, but will certainly not be unique in that respect.

As far as I am aware ( and I may be wrong) this has not been represented within the DH diversion program to date. It would be really interesting to see how widely available this work is.

Lin Houldershaw   

June 25. 2012
Adele Owen

GMP also participate in the Government's Prevent Strategy with Channel- an early intervention strategy aimed at identifying and supporting those individuals vulnerable to radicalisation into violent extremism. In Greater Manchester, vulnerable people targeted for radicalisation is considered a safeguarding issue.

June 25. 2012
professor louis appleby

Very interesting.  Are there others? - pooled experience may be valuable nationally.

Louis

October 26. 2012
Rebecca Jones

Merseyside police have a similar team with Channel, our CJLT team have made on referall to them, and they are due to attend our offices to give us some information about the team regarding Extremism and how to refer people on who are potentially vulnerable to radicalisation.

I will inform you of how this goes, and if we have any feedback to privide

Regards

Becky