Network navigation

WMRGL experience

Up to Pre-registration scientists
March 01. 2016
Paula Page
Hi,
Here is the Birmingham experience.

Questions:
1) Do you have a staff members in your lab who are employed as pre-registration scientists and who are working towards their registration through the 6 year route?
Yes- we currently have 18 Pre-Reg Band 6 scientists (I think only 1 of these is on a temporary contract). We are pursuing the 6 year route, although we need to examine the AHCS 'equivalence' route in more detail, as this may be applicable for some of our Pre-Reg's. Most have done PhDs.

2) If so how have you structure their training?
Three 1 year rotations. We have Pre-Reg's placed in all areas of the Department now (Haem-Onc, Familial Cancer, Rare Diseases, Dev Disorders, Reproductuve Medicine and Mol Path).

3) Are the training across both molecular and cytogenetics?

This is not so easy to answer as we are faiirly well integrated now. Their rotations depend on the Pre-Reg and their previous experiences and also the Departmental clinical needs. Most to date have performed more 'molecular' based roles to date as training can be quicker and productivity higher. A few have learnt to do arrays, and to date one has learnt to analyse chromosomes in Haemato-Oncology (another currently in training).

4) If just one discipline do you plan to give them any experience in the other discipline prior to them applying for registration.

I think we still need to decide in house exaxtly what we will do. Most will probably apply for Mol Genetics, but we may need to use the Developing Sciencies route to incorporate both Cytogenetics and Molecular genetics for those whose experience we feel fits into both disciplines.

The Pre-Reg's have been an incredicbly stabilising influence to the scientific workforce. I am currently trying to put in place a format for 'end of year' reviews that we can use to try and ensure that they have all the skills required for Registration by the end of the 3 years. This is challenging when they are not on a formal training scheme.

Paula Page, West Midlands Regional Genetics Laboratory 
March 03. 2016
Alison Taylor-Beadling

Thanks Paula, thats really helpful.

Alison