Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Genetics Training Leads

Mandatory training requirements

Network navigation

Compliance recording and monitoring of mandatory training

Up to Mandatory training requirements
May 23. 2016
Maria Louise Axford

I have been asked to start a discussion on how this is approached in various laboratories.  If you could spare a few minutes to comment on how you ensure/monitor that staff in your departments have completed mandatory training such as moving and handling, local induction, fire safety etc it would be appreciated. In particular:

1) How do you record this data

2) Who is responsible for recording the data

3) How do you ensure that staff members complete this within the required deadlines.

4) How do you let staff known that they need to complete mandatory training

5) What do you do if staff are not compliant

Thanks

Alison 

May 23. 2016
Alison Taylor-Beadling

Thanks Maria - I am able to respond to this message.

May 24. 2016
Heather Ward

Hi,

In Manchester compliance with mandatory training is driven by the Trust so to answer Alison's questions:

1) How do you record this data

a. Corporate mandatory training is done by e-learning and is recorded centrally.

b. We have a spreadsheet for both local induction and moving and handling.

2) Who is responsible for recording the data

a. Completion is recorded automatically on the Trust on-line management system

b. Local induction is recorded by the admin team and moving and handling is recorded by the moving and handling training co-ordinators.

3) How do you ensure that staff members complete this within the required deadlines.

a. We are sent a spreadsheet regularly that flags up people who are not compliant. People are expected to complete their mandatory training in their birth month - everyone is aware of this. Appraisals are also timetabled to co-incide with people's birth month

b. We have an established local induction programme so it should be completed within the timeframe, recording it in the spreadsheet is less reliable so I check it periodically and liaise with line managers. We are creating a managers's checklist on Qpulse for key actions for new starters and returners from maternity leave to improve this - I think people forget to complete the paperwork rather than not doing the induction. The moving and handling co-ordinators remind people and it is discussed at appraisal.

4) How do you let staff known that they need to complete mandatory training

a. Staff are made aware at induction. Let them know if they appear on the spreadsheet as non-compliant and it is raised at appraisal

b. Same as above

5) What do you do if staff are not compliant

a and b. . Agree a deadline for completion and ask to see evidence that they have done it.