DIHNet

DIHNet world

Network navigation

OSX El Capitan

Up to DIHNet world
September 30. 2015
Graeme Babbs

Firstly, 0/10 for the name!

Anyway, with the new OSX available from today, I thought it might be an idea to keep tabs on what software causes/is rumoured to cause issues. I'll probably update straightaway at home, but give it a while at work. I've seen suggestions that Microsoft Office 2016 is having/will have issues with it, which isn't great news as I'm still using Office 2011! I'm also still using CS6, not CC, but I have no information as to whether that will be a problem or not.

All this assuming I'm not the only up to date Mac user here!

September 30. 2015
Brian Parkinson
We're also on CS6 and Office 2011 Graeme, so if you take the plunge please let us know how you get on. Currently running Mavericks 10.9.5.
September 30. 2015
laura whittingham

I'm well behind here - didn't even know there was new OS being released! We also run off CS6 and MS Office 2011. My outlook messed up when I upgraded from Snow leopard to Yosemite, so the other designers haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet. We're falling behind the rest of the industry more and more every day it seems.

September 30. 2015
Brian Parkinson
I think the industry mostly uses what's stable and gets the job done. We have two machines here still on CS4 and doing just fine!
October 01. 2015
Calum Murray

I'm currently on Mavericks but am hoping to get the update to El Capitan shortly.  I'm running CC2015 so shouldn't be any problems there but I might have to look into the MS Office issues - I've also got 2011.  Although I've got it on my virtual PC, I prefer working on the Mac versions.  Only other issue I'm aware of is with Parallels Desktop as my current version is incompatible with El Capitan.

October 01. 2015
Graeme Babbs

@Brian: LOL! I as hoping some other mug would play that part!

@Laura: I had the Outlook problem too (not that unusual when I researched it). All is fine now, but I can't for the life of me remember how we fixed it. I *think* it was a reload from original DVD. The important thing is Outlook 2011 is now absolutely fine on Yosemite and it's not every Mac that falls over (my colleague's was fine). You just need to be prepared, but don't be scared to update!

@Calum: can I ask what CC plan you are on? (Adobe isn't the clearest website I've ever seen!). I think you told me you paid a year up front. That's currently £1000+ a year for our 2 seats :(

October 02. 2015
Calum Murray

I'm on Creative Cloud for Teams.  Currently 1 single user licence for myself and one for our Comms team.  The description from our renewal is:

Creative Cloud for teams - complete ALL Multiple Platforms EU English Licensing Subscription Renewal Monthly Partner
Price Lock only 1 User.

Cost £433.03+VAT per year and it's paid annually via Trustmarque Solutions who are a UK Adobe official reseller and an NHS Contract supplier.  But that does sadly mean £1000+ for two seats per year.  I was able to justify it against the previous cost of buying the full package outright. (Having said that, with one of the few full versions of Acrobat in the whole board, I sometimes think I could almost justify it on the ability to alter pdfs!).

That is for the full CC suite though so I have access to pretty much everything except Captivate and it's all kept bang up to date.

October 06. 2015
Graeme Babbs

Such is life I suppose. I'd previously have spent that every 2-3 years if not more.

On a different note, no problems with El Capitan at home (that sounds uncomfortably like some sort of domestic reference =8-0)). I'm still not going to risk it at work just yet though.

March 17. 2016
Calum Murray

Just a wee update.  Recently upgraded to El Capitan with no problems whatsoever.  I've not noticed any drop off in performance that some have reported although I'm not doing anything that I would class as "high end" so that might be why. 

Not sure I like the overall look with the new icons etc but they will probably grow on me over time.

Just discovered I can conference call from my iMac as well by linking in my phone - which is a nice feature (I think it came in before this OS but i only just found out about it).