144,602 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Diabetes Midwives

Antenatal Corticosteroids to Reduce Neonatal Morbidity (RCOG Green-top 7) - Sonia Clark

Network navigation

Reacative hypoglycaemia from GTT at 2 hour test time

Up to Antenatal Corticosteroids to Reduce Neonatal Morbidity (RCOG Green-top 7) - Sonia Clark
February 16. 2012
Claire Heeley

HI

I recently heard a collegue saying they called all patients back who had a lower blood gluose at 2 hours than at fasting from a GTT. This was due to them having reactive hypoglycaemia abd results were acted upon if it was more than 1mmol/L from the fasting BG.

We work to the nice guidelines here and therefore do not act on drops in BG at the 2 hour sample. Recently I had a patient who dropped from 4.5mmol/L  to 2.6 mmol/L and it got me thinking about weather she should be reviewed or not.

I wondered what everyone else did?

Claire

February 17. 2012
Caroline Duncombe

Recently I have had several referrals with the same scenario. I did get one lady to monitor her BG for a week qds, but they were all perfectly normal. I generally say that unless she is symptomatic of hypoglycaemia or there is any evidence of GDM e.g. big baby etc, I don't take it any further. This is not based on any evidence though.

Caroline

February 20. 2012
Jane O'Brien

I have had quite a few and usually ring the lady to ask if they have any hypo symptoms during a usual day. If not then we just leave it. I did have one patient who came in for a consultant review due to persistant dizziness and feeling faint.  

June 27. 2012
sue land

If I get one of these results, I will always pull the notes and show the endocrinologists as there could be a chance of dumping syndrome or it could be an early sign of undiagnosed diabetes