Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Anaesthesia Quality Improvement

Quality Indicators

Network navigation

Patient satisfaction

Up to Quality Indicators
October 12. 2013
Glenn Arnold

What is important to patients, how can we measure it, and most importantly, how do we improve it? A recent systematic review by Barnett et al (Anesthesiology 2013; 119: 452) looked at the current measures. What is your experience?

November 13. 2013
Geoffrey Lockwood

I don't suppose I'm the only anaesthetist who despises the potentially superficial nature of much of this sort of thing. The nursing staff tell me that, from their satisfaction surveys, the trick is to give a big smile on the ward for the patient. However, I'm up for ISAS or something similar because that could improve the ward arrangements as well as our practice. Do you know if it can be given to patients by nurses or does there have to be a face-to-face (or voice-to-voice by phone) explanation? If the latter then I think the Trust should employ someone to do the job.

November 17. 2013
Glenn Arnold

The guidance from the GMC is that the feedback be sort from random patients by a third party. This is clearly going to be difficult for theatre based anaesthetists working with trainees as a third person would not be able to identify which patients they did or didn't see preoperatively.

I've actually just finished collecting patient feedback and I asked nurses to hand out the forms to patients I actually saw. It worked okay and wasn't as bad as I thought - nor was the feedback. It took three weeks of consecutive patients (private and public) to get 20 forms (a roughly 80% form completion rate).