149,979 members

Skip to content. | Skip to navigation


Transgender patients and passports


Start sharing

If you've got news you'd like to share, let us know and we'll consider it for our news section.

Transgender patients and passports

The government has reminded GPs of the procedure around transgender patients requiring a letter for a new passport.

Those with a valid British passport in their birth gender who wish to apply for a new one in an acquired gender simply need a letter from their doctor or medical consultant confirming their change of gender is likely to be permanent.  Evidence of change of name, such as deed poll is sufficient, and a gender recognition certificate is not required.  The Equality Act 2010 protects people undergoing gender reassignment and to be protected from gender reassignment discrimination, a person does not need to have undergone any specific treatment or surgery to change from their birth sex to their preferred gender. This is because changing physiological or other gender attributes is a personal process rather than a medical one. More.....